Monday, February 1, 2010

Target Field

With so many things going on with free-agents this off season, everyone seems to be forgetting some of the other excitements of the winter in baseball. For example, I haven’t heard anyone mention the Twin’s new ballpark that will open on April 12. It’s a mystery to me why I haven’t heard anything because it is going to be the Twin’s sixth ballpark since the team started as the Senators. And it’s the first field specifically made for the Twins. 

Picture from TwinsBobbleHeads.com

Pretty nice stadium right? Of course everybody’s going to make a big deal out of it once the season starts, but I’ll be the only one who talked about it before hand. Maybe I haven’t heard about it because I don’t live near any Twins fans? I don’t know. Here’s a little history about the Twin’s old field, The Metrodome.

  • The Metrodome opened officially in 1982
  • The Vikings and Twins wanted a new stadium since the early sixties, but the city of Minneapolis rejected for years
  • It cost The Industry Square Development Corporation 14.5 million dollars for the land where the Metrodome is
  • Construction on the Metrodome started in December, 1979

And so, I still wonder why I haven’t heard anything about the Twin’s new stadium. The Twins must feel so unpopular right now.

2 comments:

  1. For Target Field talk (and lots of it), please visit: http://www.BallparkMagic.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nickie - I'm thinking you should write something about women in MLB, maybe about the women umpires.
    Robin
    BackpackBaseCamp Blog

    ReplyDelete